Thursday, June 19, 2008

Alfred Hitchcock Said


A good film is when the price of the dinner, the theatre admission and the babysitter were worth it.
Alfred Hitchcock

A lot of movies are about life, mine are like a slice of cake.
Alfred Hitchcock

Actors are cattle.
Alfred Hitchcock

Always make the audience suffer as much as possible.
Alfred Hitchcock

Blondes make the best victims. They're like virgin snow that shows up the bloody footprints.
Alfred Hitchcock

Dialogue should simply be a sound among other sounds, just something that comes out of the mouths of people whose eyes tell the story in visual terms.
Alfred Hitchcock

Disney has the best casting. If he doesn't like an actor he just tears him up.
Alfred Hitchcock

Drama is life with the dull bits cut out.
Alfred Hitchcock

For me, the cinema is not a slice of life, but a piece of cake.
Alfred Hitchcock

Give them pleasure - the same pleasure they have when they wake up from a nightmare.
Alfred Hitchcock

I am a typed director. If I made Cinderella, the audience would immediately be looking for a body in the coach.
Alfred Hitchcock

I am scared easily, here is a list of my adrenaline - production: 1: small children, 2: policemen, 3: high places, 4: that my next movie will not be as good as the last one.
Alfred Hitchcock

I am to provide the public with beneficial shocks.
Alfred Hitchcock

I have a perfect cure for a sore throat: cut it.
Alfred Hitchcock

I never said all actors are cattle; what I said was all actors should be treated like cattle.
Alfred Hitchcock

I'm full of fears and I do my best to avoid difficulties and any kind of complications. I like everything around me to be clear as crystal and completely calm.
Alfred Hitchcock

I'm not against the police; I'm just afraid of them.
Alfred Hitchcock

If it's a good movie, the sound could go off and the audience would still have a perfectly clear idea of what was going on.
Alfred Hitchcock

In feature films the director is God; in documentary films God is the director.
Alfred Hitchcock

In films murders are always very clean. I show how difficult it is and what a messy thing it is to kill a man.
Alfred Hitchcock

Luck is everything... My good luck in life was to be a really frightened person. I'm fortunate to be a coward, to have a low threshold of fear, because a hero couldn't make a good suspense film.
Alfred Hitchcock

Revenge is sweet and not fattening.
Alfred Hitchcock

Seeing a murder on television can help work off one's antagonisms. And if you haven't any antagonisms, the commercials will give you some.
Alfred Hitchcock

Self-plagiarism is style.
Alfred Hitchcock

Some of our most exquisite murders have been domestic, performed with tenderness in simple, homey places like the kitchen table.
Alfred Hitchcock

Someone once told me that every minute a murder occurs, so I don't want to waste your time, I know you want to go back to work.
Alfred Hitchcock

Television has brought back murder into the home - where it belongs.
Alfred Hitchcock

Television has done much for psychiatry by spreading information about it, as well as contributing to the need for it.
Alfred Hitchcock

Television is like the American toaster, you push the button and the same thing pops up everytime.
Alfred Hitchcock

Television is like the invention of indoor plumbing. It didn't change people's habits. It just kept them inside the house.
Alfred Hitchcock

The length of a film should be directly related to the endurance of the human bladder.
Alfred Hitchcock

The more successful the villain, the more successful the picture.
Alfred Hitchcock

The only way to get rid of my fears is to make films about them.
Alfred Hitchcock

The paperback is very interesting but I find it will never replace the hardcover book - it makes a very poor doorstop.
Alfred Hitchcock

There is no terror in a bang, only in the anticipation of it.
Alfred Hitchcock

There is no terror in the bang, only in the anticipation of it.
Alfred Hitchcock

There is nothing quite so good as burial at sea. It is simple, tidy, and not very incriminating.
Alfred Hitchcock

There is nothing to winning, really. That is, if you happen to be blessed with a keen eye, an agile mind, and no scruples whatsoever.
Alfred Hitchcock

There's nothing to winning, really. That is, if you happen to be blessed with a keen eye, an agile mind, and no scruples whatsoever.
Alfred Hitchcock

These are bagpipes. I understand the inventor of the bagpipes was inspired when he saw a man carrying an indignant, asthmatic pig under his arm. Unfortunately, the man-made sound never equalled the purity of the sound achieved by the pig.
Alfred Hitchcock

This award is meaningful because it comes from my fellow dealers in celluloid.
Alfred Hitchcock

This paperback is very interesting, but I find it will never replace a hardcover book - it makes a very poor doorstop.
Alfred Hitchcock

We seem to have a compulsion these days to bury time capsules in order to give those people living in the next century or so some idea of what we are like.
Alfred Hitchcock

What is drama but life with the dull bits cut out.
Alfred Hitchcock

When an actor comes to me and wants to discuss his character, I say, 'It's in the script.' If he says, 'But what's my motivation?, ' I say, 'Your salary.'
Alfred Hitchcock

No comments: