Thursday, June 19, 2008

Richard Gere Speaks


All of our energy should be in sacrifice and services. Suffering, at least.
Richard Gere

Billions of people don't practice a religion at all.
Richard Gere

Certainly there have been better actors than me who have had no careers. Why? I don't know.
Richard Gere

Even in comedies, you've got to feel safe for things to just happen in a way that is natural and free, and recognizable as human.
Richard Gere

Everyone responds to kindness.
Richard Gere

I can't say I have control over my emotions; I don't know my mind. I'm lost like everyone else. I'm certainly not a leader.
Richard Gere

I cry every chance I get.
Richard Gere

I do think that good actors can do any part. It doesn't mean that they are the best ones to do it.
Richard Gere

I don't know any of us who are in relationships that are totally honest - it doesn't exist.
Richard Gere

I don't think that bravery is about skin. Bravery is about a willingness to show emotional need.
Richard Gere

I'm a 50 year-old guy and I'm not in shape like I was when I was 30.
Richard Gere

I'm less needy about needing to express myself through acting. I have many different lives outside of this that are extremely fulfilling.
Richard Gere

I'm not that tough; I'm not that smart. I need life telling me who I am, showing me my mind constantly. I wouldn't see it in a cave.
Richard Gere

I'm voting for Gore because the other is unthinkable. Which most of us will probably do. I hope all of us. I've always liked Ralph Nader and would like to see a real third party, but the thought of George Bush as president is unthinkable.
Richard Gere

If the work is going well and it's something that has value with some meaning to it, it gives back a lot.
Richard Gere

In a way, one gets stability from being able to order the rational mind.
Richard Gere

In saving Tibet, you save the possibility that we are all brothers, sisters.
Richard Gere

Maybe the Dalai Lama is the only person who is totally honest, and even with him, he's skillful not to hurt anybody. He's skillful.
Richard Gere

Meditation is such a more substantial reality than what we normally take to be reality.
Richard Gere

My first encounter with Buddhist dharma would be in my early 20s. Like most young men, I was not particularly happy.
Richard Gere

The Dalai Lama said that he thinks mother's love is the best symbol for love and compassion, because it is totally disinterested.
Richard Gere

The secret of my success is my hairspray.
Richard Gere

There is nothing real about film. Nothing. Even the light particles that project the film can't be proven to exist. Nothing is there.
Richard Gere

There's really one character for every actor. The voyage is to find that one character.
Richard Gere

Tibetan Buddhism had an enormous impact on me.
Richard Gere

Western Buddhists in many ways are much serious Buddhists than Tibetans are.
Richard Gere

What we all have in common is an appreciation of kindness and compassion; all the religions have this. We all lean towards love.
Richard Gere

When His Holiness won the Nobel Peace Prize, there was a quantum leap. He is not seen as solely a Tibetan anymore; he belongs to the world.
Richard Gere

When I started acting, it was really the way for me to be able to communicate.
Richard Gere

When someone has a strong intuitive connection, Buddhism suggests that it's because of karma, some past connection.
Richard Gere

When you work as an actor, you've got to feel safe even in what appears to be the simplest things.
Richard Gere

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Everyone responds to kindness.
...............Richard Gere

Usually with a swift kick in the 'nads.
...........Smartallica