Monday, July 28, 2008

An Apology To Our Soldiers


an apology to our soldiers


I was so wrong
But I was so scared
I was hit so hard
I guess I didn’t care
And I believed
that better men knew best
how things should run
and I succumbed to what came next
flags and songs
and guns for sons
right and wrong was lost
among the hunger to get
something done
in those moments I felt strong
we all knew that we belonged
as we gathered up our arms
and marched toward the front
the crowd threw up
prayers and psalms
so that we could move along
continue with our lives
as though nothing
and no one had been bombed
I was so wrong
But I was so scared
I didn’t dare to stand up
As war plans were prepared
And I believed
I believed that
better days would come.
But I was wrong.
I was so wrong.

© 2008 henry toromoreno

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Thanks for giving me credit for my poem. I think your picture makes a devastating combination with it. I hope our sons and daughters are all well and get back home soon.