Monday, October 27, 2008

Influences



Influences

We waited in the car
outside the bar
my sisters and I
"for just a couple of drinks"
as we had heard it
so many times before
as Ramona said
like all Indian kids
have heard
before

from their parents, disappeared into the smoke and laughter of a
reservation tavern, emerging every half hour with Pepsi, potato
chips, and more promises. And, like all Indians have learned, we
never did trust those promises. We knew to believe something
when it happened, learned to trust the source of a river and never
its mouth. But this is not about sadness. This is about the stories

imagined
beneath the sleeping bags
between starts
to warm up the car
because my parents trusted me
with the keys.
This is about the stories
I told my sisters

to fill those long hours, waiting outside the bar, waiting for my
mother, my father to knock on the window, asking "Are you warm
enough? Are you doing all right? We'll be out soon, okay?"
Sometimes, we refused to open the locked doors for our parents,
left them to gesture wildly, and make all of us laugh because there
was nothing else left to do. But this is not about sadness. This is
about the stories.

I created
how I built
landscapes and imaginary saviors.
Once, I dreamed a redheaded woman,
gave her name and weight
and told my sisters
she would rescue us
from our own love

for this mother and father who staggered from the bar always five
minutes before closing, so they could tell us later "At least we left
before the last call". But we did love them, held tightly to their
alcoholic necks and arms as they drove back home, stole the six pack
they bought "for the road" and threw it out the window, counted
mile markers and coyotes standing on the edge of the road. But
this is not about sadness. This is about the stories, those rough
drafts

that thundered the walls
of the HUD house
as my sisters and I lay awake
after we finally arrived home
and listened
to my mother and father dream
breathe deep
in their sleep, snore
like what you might want me to call drums
but in the reservation dark
it meant we were all alive
and that was enough.
'

Sherman Alexie.............from First Indian On The Moon

No comments: