Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Taxi Dancing



Taxi Dancing

Well, she started out
to be a dancer
She's gonna make her livin'
dancin' in the Broadway shows

SO she hitchhiked cross country
from Pasaroba to the Big Red Apple
Where your dreams are made
and your debts must be paid on time

I'll hold you close taxi dancer
And I'll listen to how you
outgrew your dreams
and how they faded away

I'll hold you close taxi dancer
And we'll pretend this floor
is the Broadway stage

Well, she wasn't used
to livin' in the city
So she took a job as a maid
cleanin up at the Gramercy Park Hotel

And all her auditions,
they didn't turn out so pretty
So she took a job dancin'
at the bar down the street as well

Well, I don't know how long
or how far
her fortune did take her
But I heard she sits alone drunk
in a bar down on 42nd Street

And sometimes an old butch
will slip a quarter into the jukebox
And she'll stagger to the bar
and dance with that girl for free.

John Mellencamp

No comments: