Tuesday, November 18, 2008

1979




1979


for Steve


If you hear the radio playing out my door,
stop, listen, come in and visit.

We can drink old coffee, a beer, eat fry bread
with too much butter. Tonight our excesses
will be forgiven.

You and I can talk and laugh, remember the
old stories, the old people we only remember
when you and I still talk together.

We can lie about the length of our braids,
lie about all the Indian women we danced with
at the last powwow.

I wasn't even at the last powwow, but you
don't know that for sure. You weren't
there either.

It gets cold at night sooner in the year
when I live off the reservation. I build
fires in September.

If you hear the radio playing out my door,
come in and we'll sit together. We'll watch
the air between us. We'll smile at the sound
of our breathing.


Sherman Alexie..........from Old Shirts & New Skins

No comments: