Friday, November 21, 2008

Prayer



Prayer


At Sky-Reaching-Butte,
at House-Made-of-Darkness,
Black pollen with which he conceals his body,
Black-Horned Rattler, young chief,
your sacrifice
I have made,
your smoke I have prepared.
This day I have become your child.
This day your grandchild I have become.

Watch over me.
Hold your hand before me in protection.
Stand before me and arise as my protector.
Do my commands as I do your bidding.
Let no harm befall me from the air as I breathe,
from the rain as it falls,
from the Thunders as they strike,
from below the plants,
from the trees under which
water flows.

Dewdrops and pollen may I enjoy.
With these may it be beautiful before me.
With these may it be beautiful behind me.
All is beautiful again,
all is restored in beauty.


(A Navajo Prayer)

No comments: