Tuesday, November 25, 2008

War God's Horse



War God's Horse

I am Turquoise Woman's son
on top of Belted Mountain
beautiful horses slim like weasels.

My horse has a hoof like a striped agate,
his fetlock is like fine eagle plume,
his legs are like quick lightning

My horse's body is like an eagle-feathered arrow,
with a tail like a trailing black cloud.

I put flexible goods on my horse's back.
The Holy Wind blows through his mane
which is made of rainbows.

My horse's ears are made of round corn,
his eyes are made of stars,
his head is made of mixed waters;
from the holy waters so
that he never knows thirst.

My horse's teeth are made of white shell;
the long rainbow is in his mouth
for a bridle; with it I guide him.

When my horse neighs,
different colored horses follow,
and different colored sheep follow.

I am wealthy from my horse.

Before me peaceful
Behind me peaceful
Under me peaceful
Over me peaceful
Around me peaceful;

Peaceful voice when he neighs,
I am everlasting and peaceful;
I stand for my horse.


Navajo Song

No comments: