Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Water Under the Bridge


WATER UNDER THE BRIDGE

She was explaining to me
why she thought we hadn't
made it;
that is, what I had done
wrong
and I said that was water
under the bridge. And
she said
didn't I want to know so
I could
avoid the same mistakes
next time
and I said no because
next time
it would be someone else
and
I'd be free to make a
whole lot
of new mistakes and she
said she
thought that was cynical
and I
said maybe it was but
that wasn't
her problem anymore either,
which kind of left a
gap in
the conversation, which I
took advantage of to
get up
and say goodbye and
move on
down the street to
whatever came
next which would then in
its turn
become more water under
the bridge
but what the hell, if
it's flowing,
then at least it isn't
stagnant,
right?

Albert Huffstickler

Posted over on Nerve Cowboy

1 comment:

miserable failure said...

She's a fit piece in the photo isn't she; I'd be more than willing to learn from any mistakes I'd made with her, so I could try again. This guy's about as unknown a writer as I am.