Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Luna Moth On Day of Eclipse*


LUNA MOTH ON DAY OF ECLIPSE*


A luna moth on my backdoor screen.
I wonder how much of her one day on earth is left.

The phone rings. It's probably my neighbor
Telling me about the eclipse. She always

Does what is fashionable and popular.
She does not read poetry..

I don't answer the phone. Often I wish
I did not have a phone. As I observe

The pale green, I notice a damaged wing.
If something lives only one day in this world,

It cannot escape damage. The light
Behind the Luna's wings darkened.

The wings become as mystic as the greens
In El Greco. I'm entranced

By the white streaks on the border
Of the wings, streaks like El Greco saints.


Duane Locke

Posted over on Poetry Volume One

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

The Actias luna, or luna moth, actually typically lives circa one week in it's moth form before serving its purpose of mating. Also, they have no mouth to speak of or with.