Friday, December 18, 2009

Tangerine


"tangerine dream" painting by Veronica Jackson


TANGERINE


All day, I’ve been trying to remember
What music was coming from her radio
When the oak branch fell in her front yard.
I can’t remember. The music disappeared
When the crash occurred. The oak branch
Knocked down the electric wires.
There was no lights in her house.
She threw an ash tray against her wall.
She was angry about something
That happened at the beauty shop,
But would not talk about it.
She also threw a bottle of champagne
Against the wall. The bottle
Had never been opened.
There was so much noise
After the oak branch fell,
Even the Grecian Urn in the attic
Cracked and fell apart.
This moment was the last time I saw her.
I did not want to speak upon departure,
So I handed her a tangerine.
When I drove away, she was peeling the tangerine.
I wish I could remember the music I heard
Before the oak branch fell,
It was something I would like to preserve
From our long love affair.


Duane Locke

Posted over on The Hold

No comments: