Saturday, January 8, 2011

I'm Gonna Miss

Painting by Vincent Van Gogh


I'm Gonna Miss

1.
...your big tennis shoes parked by the back door
and your little Audi parked in the drive.

...you towering, bedhead, over the fridge, door open.

...scooping your boxers from the bathroom floor.

...hearing the microwave beep at 3:30 a.m.

...your whiskers around the sink.

...you standing at the back door,
taking off your coat in the dark
and asking, "What's going on-n-n-n?"

2.
After taking a semester off, my youngest headed to school, car loaded down with a mountain of clean clothes and all the necessary accoutrements, like bottled water and horseradish sauce. It's taking him a few years longer than expected, with changes to his major, etc., but that's okay. I'm not in any hurry for him to fly far from the nest just yet. He'll be back next month, I'm sure, when all his boxers and socks are dirty.

Tess Kincaid

Posted over on her site Willow Manor

No comments: