Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Mates

Image borrowed from Yahoo


Mates

The ionospheric levels of our communication
and the nadir of our love fascinates me.
How can you know things about me
that I am still discovering myself?
How can you feel such intense joy,
such comfort, by just being at my side?
You touch me as if
you have always been touching me,
as if all the others never happened.

The moment we met, as our eyes
connected, we recognized each other;
for you were not a stranger, or just
another interesting woman, no,
you were my woman,
had always been
my woman,
and we both knew it
before we even spoke.

Truth streaked across the creased
forehead of the millennium to come,
crackling like a Texas lightning bolt,
starfire silver brilliant against
a midnight sky, a lifetime of searching
over, flash-frozen two people standing
in a blue blaze of light, a little baffled
because there we were
stone-captured, cosmically coupled,
just a lucky pair of steel shavings
inexorably pulled toward magnetic tips,
maneuvering into smooth alignment,
a perfect parallel plane;

on the day of our nuptials,
the North and the South grew closer,
beyond touching, joined, connected
officially, becoming one commingled,
blended and blessed entity,
a shining new organism,
our souls in lock-step,
man and wife, united
against the harshness of this world;
ready to contribute all
that is left of our lives
to each other.

Glenn Buttkus

April 3, 1993

Listed as #30 over on Magpie Tales 48


Would you like to hear this poem read to you by the Author?

9 comments:

Kristen Haskell said...

What a beautiful tribute to your wife. I feel this way about my husband. Lovely. I really enjoyed hearing you also :)

Margaret said...

Very touching and as always, perfectly expressed. You are a poetic master!

Other Mary said...

That's really lovely...beyond lovely. How wonderful to find such a love, and to be able to express it so eloquently.

Tess Kincaid said...

What a beautiful uniting of North and South. Cherish this. The lightening strike of truth is a rare event.

Coloring Outside the Lines said...

Oh my, that is just beautiful.

Kathe W. said...

beautiful tribute to your soul mate-thank you for sharing it with us.

Linda Bob Grifins Korbetis Hall said...

love the tigers.
powerful writing.

Tumblewords: said...

A wonderful happening!

Trulyfool said...

Glenn,

Loved the merging of 'staff lines' and tiger stripes and two people! Imaginative and loving.

Trulyfool