Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Lavinia's Necklace

Image by Jere Arnold


Lavinia's Necklace

Lavinia had a string of beads
all the colours of the rainbow
'Daddy brought it all the way
from New York City'
course he did
because she was the Princess
of our Dublin Street
and princesses always have
daddies that fetch things
and have ladies in waiting
like seven year old me
with straight hair
that never seemed to shine
Lavinia had a string of beads
every colour of the rainbow
except for one
I stole it and put in my pocket
'jade green' the colour of envy
she never missed it
me and my father sat on
the back step that faced the apple tree
and admired the one bead
because he didn't leave
to fetch me things
I had all the things I needed
right there on my
back step.

Brigid O'Connor

Posted over on her site Sort of Writing
Listed as #35 over on Magpie Tales 63

No comments: