Monday, December 12, 2011

The Scrap Within a Soul


image borrowed from bing

The Scrap Within A Soul


If I could sew my life into a quilt
then patch by patch each phase of guilt
would symbolize the pattern of my life
from childhood a behavior learned in strife.

Stuffed with cotton fluff this cover-up
patterned with unworthiness beat-up
when if a recognition I received
a yardstick juxtaposed the action cleaved.

“That’s really no big deal, it’s been done,”
(as if two patterns were the same as one)
so I withdrew and lost all confidence
began to fight off glory with defense.

Until self-hatred made an endless hole
and what was left a scrap within my soul
a chance to patch things up and start anew
believe each stitch of life was special, too.

The thread that piece by piece the quilt was formed
a constant love of God from which I stormed
and lessons learned each different square
reminds me that the fabric’s always there.

laurie kolp

Posted over on her site Birds-Eye Gemini
Listed as #20 over on dVerse Poets--Poetics

1 comment:

Laurie Kolp said...

That's a fine quilt you posted with the poem. Thanks, Glenn.