Thursday, April 13, 2017

Blue Rain


image from vogue.om


Blue Rain

“If you ever come by, for Jane or for me;
your enemy sleeps & his woman is free.”
--Leonard Cohen.

Four in the morning, end of December.
New York is cold, but I like where I’m living.
I’m writing you to see if you are any better;
always for you it’s the taking, not the giving.

Yes, you used to look so much older,
as you went to the station to meet every train.
Your blue raincoat was torn at the shoulder.
You always came back without Lily Marlene.

My brother, what can I tell you?
What can I possibly say?
I miss you & I guess I forgive you--
thanks for standing in my way.

You treated Jane to a flake of your life.
After returning, she was nobody’s wife.



Glenn Buttkus

Lyrics remix from Leonard Cohen's
FAMOUS BLUE RAINCOAT.

Posted over at dVerse Poets Pub MTB  

12 comments:

Kim M. Russell said...

Well, you know from previous prompts that I'm a bit of a sucker for Leonard Cohen, Glenn. I used to buy his poetry books for my mum but somehow I've ended up with all of them.
You've smashed the form, the language is superb and I love it. I can hear him singing it, too.

Glenn Buttkus said...

L. Cohen, for me was a poet primordial, that somehow became a troubadour. I have all his poetry books. Wonder who will get them when I pass? Goodwill perhaps.

Frank Hubeny said...

I looked the song up on YouTube. It was the first time I heard it. There's just enough vagueness to make me want to know more about what happened to them.

Grace said...

I was tempted to choose one of his songs but Zedd is my EDM favorite artist. Your ending couplet is just a killer for me ~ Thanks for joining our challenge Glenn and Happy Easter!!!

Jane Dougherty said...

Didn't get this one either, but again, it makes a good poem.

Jilly said...

Wonderfully done!

lillianthehomepoet.wordpress.com said...

Well, I'm batting a thousand not recognizing the songs -- so sorry. But I do like what you've done here.
"always for you it’s the taking, not the giving." quite the picture here....sadly there are too many folks like this.

Charley said...

I wouldn't have known this. LC is on my must have list. Enjoyed your poem muchly!

Gina said...

Cohen was extraordinary in setting fire to words. This was very soulful in some ways. I like the plea made to the brother, masking silent rage and desperation.

indybev said...

Like Lillian, I'm totally at a loss for recognizing the songs, but enjoying the sonnets!

De Jackson said...

Wonderful, Glenn! I loved this.

Bekkie Sanchez said...

I didn't do well with this one but wonderful job!