Thursday, August 17, 2017

Love Me Hard


image from imgarcade.com


Love Me Hard

“Love is so short, forgetting is so long.”
--Pablo Neruda.

In my youth, with discovered raging hormones,
love and lust were interchangeable, inseparable. 
So many exciting & sexy lovers on parade,
as Eros captivated & ruled every waking moment--

and only intensified in my smoldering slumber,
as I was often awakened to throbbing erections
and steaming wet dreams, prancing and dashing
about, fully stimulated, like a young stag in rut.

But then I began to consider serious relationships,
to confine my erotic focus on one woman, to seek
out more meaning, less haze, deeper commitment.

It took three marriages and forty chaotic years
of searching, stumbling, experimenting to finally

find the actual bona fide love of my life--my real wife.


Glenn Buttkus

Posted over at dVerse Pets Pub  

16 comments:

brudberg said...

I really loved how you could create such a wonderful love poem from the steamy love to the real wife. I hope that she reads it :-)

Kim M. Russell said...

Wow, Glenn! In just fourteen lines you go from a teenager with raging hormones and steaming wet dreams to a loving man who has eyes for only one woman - your real wife. How wonderful is that?

Grace said...

How lucky for both of you Glenn ~ Growing up, we quickly learn that love requires a lot of commitment.

tonispencer said...

Oh yes. the real true love of your life. From rutting stag to loving husband. I enjoyed this bit of honesty from you so very much. Aint love grand?

indybev said...


I daresay, you wife got the very best of you, Glenn! A lust read!

indybev said...


...supposed to be a lustY read!

Frank Hubeny said...

I am glad to hear you found her.

Arcadia Maria said...

What a journey you took us through in this piece. Well done.

Sumana Roy said...

A fiery beginning finally mellowing and melting into Beauty. Wonderful imagery.

Anonymous said...

The arc of a man who found himself in the true love of one woman. A tale as old as time expertly penned.

Debi Swim said...

Sometimes, it just takes a long time to grow-up.

Unknown said...

It can take a lot of searching to find the the diamond hidden amongst the cubic zirconium :-)

Kathy Reed said...

Ah, some of us take a long time to find that someone for sure! I am glad you found her and hope you never let her go...(Some Enchanted Evening) ;)

Alison H said...

I am sure she was just waiting to spend the best years with you.

tonispencer said...

Oops/ I just realized I had already commented on your sonnet. Well, it read just as well the second time around! My husband and I were married for the first time when I was 49 and he was 39. We always said God was just waiting to get us together. Seems like the same thing happened with you and your wife.

Rosemary Nissen-Wade said...

I love the gusto and verve of this poem, and the beautiful phrase 'my real wife'. It took me three marriages too (third-time-lucky I always say). I was 54 when we married, and he 65. We had 20 glorious years together, and now I have wonderful memories. When I say or think, 'my husband', I always mean him.